Molly's Birth Story

Friday, March 20, 2009 11:03 PM Posted by Shannon Smith

Molly's due date was Sunday, March 8th. Somehow she didn't get the memo! The doctor didn't want me to go more than 8 days overdue, so they scheduled me to be induced. We were to head to the hospital on Sunday night, March 15th.

That weekend Cynthia and Josh came down with a flu bug. Sunday afternoon my body decided to catch the bug as well. Great! So, I called the doctor to find out what to do. He decided that I needed to go ahead with the induction. We headed for the hospital around 8 PM. We had to wait a while for mine and baby's vitals to calm down before starting any baby-inducing medicine and I was put on an IV since I was dehydrated. Around 10 PM Sunday night they started me on Cervadil and I had to be on it for 12 hours before starting Ptocin. During the night I had some minor contractions and cramping due to the medicine.

Monday morning around 11 AM they started the Ptocin. The contractions started getting pretty strong right away, and being the wimp that I am I started begging for an epidural! I think it was 12:30 or so by the time I got the wonderful epidural. I napped off and on for a while after that, but around 2:30 the medicine started wearing off. The nurse checked me, but I was still only dilated to 5. So, I was given more medicine. By 4:30 (ish) I was finally fully dilated! The nurse started getting things ready and also went to find the doctor. The doctor was in another delivery so I had to wait! That seemed like a long wait!

I don't remember what time it was when I started pushing, but I only pushed for about 20 minutes or so and Molly was here!

We are slowly adjusting to life as a family of 4. Our first night at home was horrible. Molly was up a LOT wanting to nurse. At 2:30 AM Cynthia decided to join the party for an our or so. Thankfuly my Mom was here and she got up to help me with the girls. We got Cynthia settled down and I tried sleeping in the recliner with Molly for a while. We woke up 20 minutes later to Molly spitting up quite a bit. That would explain her lack of sleep!! So, in the process of getting Molly cleaned up, Cynthia woke up again. This time there were 4 adults (me, Josh, Grandma and Uncle David) up taking care of 2 little girls! In the end Grandma got Cynthia calmed down and back in bed and Josh and I took care of Molly. Wow! Long night!! I think it was almost 5 the first time I got to crawl in bed. Thankfully the next night went better. Things can only get better from here...right?!!

2 Response to "Molly's Birth Story"

  1. Anna Says:

    It will get better. :) Give yourselves some time!

  2. Unknown Says:

    Congratulations! And of course it will get better . . . hang in there and cling to God for grace! I remember those days so well. Everyone kept telling me the sleep deprivation was just a short window of time in the big picture but I couldn't grasp that.

    Praying these beginning weeks go by quickly for you!