8 Month Accomplishments

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:33 AM Posted by Shannon Smith
I haven't done a post in a while about all the new things Cynthia is learning so I thought I would post that. It probably won't interest lots of people, but here goes anyway!

She isn't crawling yet, but she's getting really close! She can get herself from sitting to on her knees, but she hasn't figured out what to do from there. She'll then flop onto her belly and scoot around a little bit on her belly, but she only goes backwards! She can however push herself in a backwards circle around her toys. She doesn't go very far, but she's trying and it is so cute to watch her learn!

Cynthia "talks" ALL the time! She is very much into mimicking sounds she hears and some words that we say. She says lots of different sounds and a few words. She says DaDa and occasionally says MaMa. She also says HI (to everyone she meets!), and has tried saying Dog a few times.

Another thing Cynthia enjoys is waving. She will wave HI to people and also Bye-bye. Every time we go to a store Cynthia sits in the cart and waves to just about everyone she sees. We talk t more people in the store because Cynthia initiated the conversation! Hmm....I hope this doesn't turn into a career as a Wal-Mart Greeter!! :)

Cynthia has mastered So Big. We ask her how big she is and immediately her arms fly up over her head stretching. It's so adorable. She also know how to play Pat-A-Cake. She loves that game. That game has also turned into clapping in excitement over things. Right now I'm trying to teach her to blow kisses, but she hasn't quite figured that out. She's started making kissing sounds though! We're also teaching her to say Please in Sign Language. She's doing really well with that one and is starting to figure out what it means. She can do the sign, but doesn't always remember it when we ask her to say please for something, but if we remind her then she does remember.

We have a baby Sign Language DVD that we got and she loves to watch. I originally got it through Netflix, but we have since bought our own copy because she likes it so well. So, for all you other mom's out there....if you're looking for something for your kids, I highly recommend this one! I'm not all for kids watching mindless TV, but this is educational in teaching both Sign Language and object recognition.

Cynthia loves to stand up! She can sort of pull herself up if she's holding onto our hands, but she's not pulling up on objects yet. She can stand up for quite a while holding onto things. Recently she figured out how to slide off my lap onto the floor. That is a "trick" she enjoyes a LOT!!

Let see....Oh, Cynthia is not a cuddly baby...At.ALL!! She will not fall asleep being held, nor will she be rocked to sleep. She loves her bed and is great about going to sleep for both naps and bedtime. She's taking 2 naps/day these days and generally sleeps for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at each nap time. At night she sleeps from about 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. Josh and I are both very thankful she's such a great sleeper! The only thing that gets somewhat frustrating is that she WILL NOT nap at church!! That can make for some long Sunday services, but they're getting better.

Cynthia is also getting very good at recognizing people. She knows who Grandma and Grandpa are and if they're in the room and you ask her where they are she'll turn and look at them. She does this for Daddy too, but for some reason won't "find" Mommy!

The other thing Cynthia does that brings Josh and I loads of joy is giggling and laughing. She's such a cheerful baby! She will sit on the floor and start laughing hysterically at absolutely nothing. It's one of the funniest things I've seen. She'll also break out into laughter if she hears other people laughing. Last Sunday at church she heard a big group of people laughing and she was sitting on the floor laughing along with them! It gave everyone around a nice smile. I hope that her cheerful nature stays with her as she grows up and she uses it for the Lord and to encourage others.

That's all can think of for now. I'm sure there are many, many other cute things that she's doing that I could share and of course I think my child is brilliant! (What Mom doesn't??) But that's all for now!

3 Response to "8 Month Accomplishments"

  1. Anna Says:

    I can't wait to see her again - she sounds like she's just a delight to be around!

  2. Tim, Kristen , Megan, Emily, and Anna Says:

    I am sure your child is brilliant!!! She seems like such a fun baby!!

  3. Melinda McMillen Says:

    Swseet....thanks for the update....and yes -- she IS a brilliant child. She's related to me, after all. LOL!!!